I’ll probably do another 2012 update after the New Year, but I decided to do something with running first since that has been probably the biggest thing of my year! Prior to 2012 I hadn’t run more than 5 miles, and only a few months prior to January 1st, I couldn’t even run a 5k straight through. I went from that to running two half marathons and a few other smaller races throughout the year.
- Best Race Experience? This I’m really torn about! I debated this in an entire post about the Indy Monumental vs the Indy Mini Marathon, my first two half marathons. The mini was really great because there was high energy, it was my first one, and it’s the biggest half marathon in the country! It was amazing, and I had a huge smile on my face the entire race. The Monumental I was more serious and focused, and I ran through an injury. The reason I love this race was because I set a 22 minute PR, and proved a lot to myself. And I was thrilled to be racing the entire time:)
- Best Run. I have a few really great runs from the year. One of my favorites was my last long run, a 10 miler, before my first half marathon. This was the first run where I truly believed I could do a half marathon! The perfect fall run and the run where I was paced by my brother were also really wonderful!
- Best new piece of gear. My Brooks Adrenalines! They’ve carried me through 2 half marathons, 1 triathlon, and 3 or 4 other 5ks. I love these shoes!
- Best piece of running advice received: Before my first half marathon, Briana told me to enjoy every minute of the race because I’d only have one first half marathon! I kept that in mind my entire race! Since then I’ve generalized it- “Only one chance to run this race. Enjoy every minute of it!”
- Most Inspirational Runners. I love Ali on the Run! She has Crohns, and fights through this to race! Reading her blog helped convince me that just because I have POTS doesn’t mean I can’t still run too!
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Frustrating (injuries!), exhilarating, and realizing that I am so much stronger than I thought I was.
- Most exciting running moment of 2012? Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon. I was tearing up on and off the whole last mile, and burst out crying when I crossed the finish line. It was hugely exciting:)
Now it’s your turn to share! What was your favorite running moment of 2012?
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed said:
CONGRATS!!!! You seriously rock 🙂 My favorite running moment of 2012 was finishing my first half marathon… the Broad Street 10 miler would be second. I still can’t believe I did those!
Thank you:) You rocked your half marathon this year too, so congrats on that! I still haven’t done a 10 miler yet, but I think I’d love it.
Congrats! I did the San Antonio half but I think my favorite was either the Run for the Water 10-miler in Austin or the Galveston Sand Crab 5K on the beach. For different reasons!
It sounds like you had a number of great races this year:) I’ve never done a 10 miler before, but I think I’d enjoy the distance. Thanks for stopping by!
Pingback: 2013 in Running | Journey to Wellness