I think in many ways a cold weather race is a little more difficult to plan for than a hot weather race. It’s hard to decide what to wear and how many layers you’ll need once you get warmed up! Through some trial and error, I’ve figured out what works best (for me) when running in cold weather!
- Pants, shorts, or running skirt- depending on your preference
- sports bra
- long sleeved dry-fit shirt
- 1 thin pair of gloves (that can be thrown away if necessary)
- 1 hat or headband to keep ears warm if it’s cold enough!
- throw away sweatshirt or jacket to keep you warm at the start line and through the first mile or two (I got a $5 sweatshirt from Wal Mart)
- spi belt or arm band for phone and fuel
- compression sleeves (arm or leg if you use them)
- Orange Juice for the night before and morning before the race
- Pre race breakfast (I eat one Luna Bar and one banana)
- Bag to turn in at gear check to hold post-race sweatshirt and key
- head phones & ipod
- Garmin or other pacing tool (like Runkeeper on iphone)
- Plastic bag to throw race clothes in after the race (if you have to travel a long distance home)
- flip flops for after the race (yes- even though it was freezing outside I put flip flops on once I got into the car because I didn’t want to be confined to shoes)
- Gatorade or Coconut Water for post-race hydration
- Banana or other foods to snack on post-race
- Kleenex- I bring this out with me since my nose gets extra stuffy when I run in cold weather
- Race fuel (I use sports beans and shot blocks)
- towel to sit on after race or to dry off with it if rains
- vasoline or body glide
- bandaids (for blisters)
- If it’s really sunny you may want sunglasses
Once you have it all laid out, pack and head out for your race!
Now it’s your turn to share! Do you prefer hot or cold weather races? Anything else you would add to this list? What’s one of your “must have” cold weather items?